lundi 6 juillet 2015

Sine Nomine's "Silent Legions."

Silent Legions is the latest RPG book from Sine Nomine.

I bought the PDF about a week ago (there is a Hard copy + PDF bundle, but I didn't think I'd be interested in getting a hard copy) and have been reading this through a few times.

For those who don't know, Sine Nomine (Kevin Crawford) has produced several RPGs in different Genres.
I have:
Stars Without Number: (Scifi in the style of Traveller)
Other Dust: (Post Apocalyptic)
Scarlet heroes: ( A one DM/player fantasy RPG set in the Red tide world).

I have the hard covers of SWN and Other Dust.

I ordered the hardcover for Silent Legions last night to add to my collection and it'll look very nice next to SWN and OD.

These RPGs are all OSR based rules set and very compatible with each other. They're all designed to be run using a Sandbox style gaming.

Silent Legions is done in a very similar way, but with a horror theme.

It looks and kind of feels a lot like "Call of Cthulhu" in mood, although it has advice to for running many styles of Horror RPGs.

As usual it has lots and LOTS of various tables for generating plots, campaigns, monsters, factions, events and all sorts of things.
The character gen is VERY simple and the game mechanics are in general very simple.
There IS a magic system, which is horror appropriate. nothing that over the top, but interesting.
As well as optional disciplines and abilities like that.

The combat is the most deadly of all of his RPGs, with an added element of "Slaughter dice"
which means most attacks you roll an additional dice with (the dice type varies) and if you roll 6 or greater, the damage is tripled, although it often doesn't work on monsters in the game.
This means combat is the most deadly of all his RPGs.
I would certainly not be using this mechanic for SWN or OD, as it's a truly deadly addition to the combat, but as this is a Horror RPG set in our times, it's more investigation, RP based than pure adventuring you might see in a SCIFI or Fantasy RPG.
In SL, getting stabbed with a knife is truly something to be feared, especially at lower levels.
and really, in RL getting stabbed with a knife is a very bad thing, which is how it's portrayed in this game

I probably won't be running this at a tabletop, as I'm currently running 5E and playing CoC and a Rifts campaign using the Champions rules set.
But I will be running it at some stage soonish on rpol.net , as the simple/fast rules are very suitable for forum based RP.

Anyway, if you're looking for a horror based OSR, deadly, Sandbox RPG, this is really good.
It's worth getting just for the various horror based content tables even if you're not going to run the game itself and use something else (such as CoC).

If you just get the PDF, it's well worth it. It has a decent index and the index contents are all hyperlinked internally to the appropriate sections.
There's a very useful bookmark set up as well.
I wanted the Hard copy as well, as I like to have a hard copy of an RPG if I actually intend to run it.


Sine Nomine's "Silent Legions."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire